Certification Program: DAANCE
Dental Anesthesia Assistant National Certification Examination (DAANCE)
The Dental Anesthesia Assistant National Certification Examination is a two-part continuing education program comprised of approximately 36 hours of self-study material and quizzes and a standardized, computer-based exam. This course is designed for oral and maxillofacial surgery assistants or assistants employed by other dental professionals with valid anesthesia permits. The American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons is an ADA CERP Recognized Provider. ADA CERP is a service of the American Dental Association to assist dental professionals in identifying quality providers of continuing dental education. ADA CERP does not approve or endorse individual courses or instructors, nor does it imply acceptance of credit hours by boards of dentistry. The American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons designates this activity for 36 continuing education credits. Upon successful completion of the final examination, the assistant will receive proof of certification and a program completion lapel pin.
All course registrants receive a syllabus, study guide, a suggested reading list, and practice quizzes. Registrants work through the material at their own pace over a six-month time period, reviewing materials and quizzes with their sponsoring surgeons. After completing the self-study materials, participants take a 2-hour, computerized exam at designated testing centers. There are over 100 testing sites located throughout the country. This self study course is available year round.
The self-study materials and the final exam cover 5 major areas:
- Basic sciences
- Evaluation and preparation of patients with systemic diseases
- Anesthetic drugs and techniques
- Anesthesia equipment and monitoring
- Office anesthesia emergencies
To be eligible to participate in DAANCE, an assistant must be:
- Employed for at least six months by either an AAOMS fellow/member, or by a dental professional who holds a valid anesthesia permit
- CPR or BLS certified*
* applicants must provide a copy of a current CPR or BLS certification with their registration form in order to receive their study materials and to schedule an examination. The CPR or BLS certification must be current through your examination date (a minimum of six months or your registration will not be processed and you will not receive your registration materials).
DAANCE Candidate Handbook
DAANCE Registration Form
DAANCE Testing Information
DAANCE Substitution/Cancellation Form
DAANCE Request for Special Examination Accommodations
DAANCE Replacement Certificate and/or Pin Request Form
DAANCE Request for Duplicate Score Report
DAANCE Address/Email Change Form
DAANCE Frequently Asked Questions
Additional Suggested Readings
Tuition includes the DAANCE Study Materials and Examination fee only. The following additional suggested readings may be ordered separately through AAOMS Publications by phone at 800-366-6725 or online at aaomsstore.com.
- AAOMS Office Anesthesia Evaluation Manual, 8th edition (Now available in print and E-Pub formats)
- SASS III Manual: Advanced Protocols for Medical Emergencies, 3rd Edition (Order Code: SASIII)
- Additional Office Anesthesia Products