The American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons is proud to announce the newest benefit of membership, the Mentor Program. The Mentor Program is designed to facilitate a member's transition into full-time practice by allowing them to tap into the experience and resources of a well-established OMS.
What does the program provide new fellows and members?
- An avenue for new fellows and members to learn about the practices and issues facing the profession from AAOMS members
- Information on obtaining counsel and guidance relative to life after residency
- Explanation on the processes of organized dentistry and medicine in general
- Introduction to the benefits of the AAOMS
What can a mentor do for you?
A mentor is a good resource for helping you:
- Explore career possibilities
- Network with colleagues
- Meet members of the OMS community
- Understand the history of the specialty and the expansion of the scope of practice
- Obtain financial planning advice in early years of practice
- Stay motivated and focused on your goals
- Work through problem solving
- Understand the board certification process
How do I sign up for the mentor program?
If you have an open mind, a willingness to learn and a commitment to your future, then the Mentor Program is designed to help you. Contact the AAOMS Membership Department for more information, toll-free at 800-822-6637 or firstname.lastname@example.org. AAOMS will make every effort to pair you with a mentor in your community. Once matched, the mentor will contact you to introduce themselves and arrange a meeting.
What if the relationship doesn't work?
If you've given it your best shot but it doesn't seem to be working effectively, contact the AAOMS headquarters office. They can offer suggestions on ways to try improving the situation or if you feel that you and your assigned mentor/mentee are not well matched a new pairing may be made. Please don't be discouraged or give up on the program. Not all matches are meant to be. New assignments may be made throughout the year.