As you near completion of oral and maxillofacial surgery training, you undoubtedly are considering your future options — whether to go into private practice, join an associateship or to enter academics. As a Resident Member of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons (ROAAOMS™), the association is here to assist you in your transition.
The AAOMS encourages you to begin your membership application process now so you are able to achieve Candidate status prior to your graduation date and take advantage of the full array of AAOMS membership benefits. Some of the member benefits available to you as a candidate include the following:
- only AAOMS members and candidates are eligible for liability coverage through Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery National Insurance Company (OMSNIC)
- discounted costs for all items offered in the current product catalog
- access to all sponsored programs and services offered by AAOMS and its for-profit subsidiary, ASI
- a countless number of practice management resources
- reduced conference and meeting costs
- assistance in gaining hospital privileges, office anesthesia and state anesthesia regulations
When you apply for AAOMS Candidate status prior to completing your training, your first year of dues will be waived and your second year dues will be one-third (1/3) of the full dues for AAOMS fellows/members. In your third year, dues are two-thirds (2/3) of the full dues level. If you take advantage of this great offer prior to completing training, you will reap additional savings and enjoy the benefits of AAOMS membership at no charge for your first 18 months out of training!
One of the requirements of membership is joining the State Society where your primary practice is held. As it may be difficult to identify the State in which you may practice now, you can still begin the AAOMS application process and work with the State society when this decision is made. Please note that all new candidates have up to three years to remain in Candidate status and to submit the required application components.
Listed below are items/resources that will assist you in your transition from resident member to candidate status: