Associate Executive Director for Communications and Publications
The Editorial Manager is responsible for developing content ideas, copy writing and providing editorial reviews of print and digital publications in support of the Association’s overall goals and objectives of the Strategic Plan. The Editorial Manager reports to the Associate Executive Director, Communications and Publications, and oversees the activities of the Communications Coordinator.
- 7-10 years of relevant professional experience.
- College degree in communications, journalism, marketing, English or equivalent.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to synthesize complex information for varying target audiences and translate clinical information.
- Public/media relations experience helpful.
- Experience in background research, copy development and editing.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office software and knowledge of AP style.
- Understanding of production and printing processes.
- Excellent project management and organizational skills, including the ability to manage complex, high-priority projects and monitor multiple projects and deadlines.
- Ability to think strategically.
- Ability to work independently but collaboratively.
- Supervisory experience required.
- Develop story/content ideas, write copy, confer with cross-functional team leaders, manage editorial calendar and provide editorial and proofing reviews of Association and affiliate organization materials for member-facing print/digital publications, signage and scripts/speeches as well as public-facing press releases, Informational Campaign collateral and social media.
- Serve as editor responsible for content and timely publication of the AAOMS Today member magazine, including oversight of internal Editorial Board, working with design time and managing review processes and classified advertising program.
- Serve as editor of the News section of the Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery and as a staff liaison to the JOMS Editorial Board; write and facilitate distribution of public-facing press releases about select JOMS articles.
- Work with design/production and communications staff to help establish annual production budgets and schedules for Association projects.
- Arrange vendor photography services and schedule for event coverage.
- Supervise the activities of the Communications Coordinator.
- Perform other similar or related duties as requested or assigned by the Associate Executive Director, Communications and Publications.