May 2-3, 2020
Designed for OMSs and coding professionals
The two-day AAOMS Beyond the Basics Coding Workshop concentrates on different topics each day. Both days are necessary to achieve the maximum benefits this course has to offer. AAOMS encourages oral and maxillofacial surgeons to attend with their coding and billing staff.
In addition to OMS-specific procedural coding, new content covers changes in Evaluation and Management Services taking effect Jan. 1, 2021. The workshop also will cover medical record documentation, reimbursement and managed care contracting issues, audit tips, and more.
Note: Participants must have a basic understanding of CPT, CDT, HCPCS Level II and ICD-10-CM. Basic coding knowledge or completion of the AAOMS Basic Coding online course and AAOMS ICD-10-CM online course is strongly encouraged before participating in this intermediate-level workshop. Attendees must bring their CPT, CDT, HCPCS Level II and ICD-10-CM coding manuals. This is a hands-on workshop, and books are not provided on site.
At the conclusion of this program, participants should be able to:
- Explain key healthcare reimbursement issues, the Correct Coding Initiative (CCI), the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), an overview of health reform, fraud and abuse.
- Achieve compliance through appropriate documentation for services provided (e.g., use of E/M guidelines).
- Follow guidelines for coding anesthesia, applying associated modifiers and other coding trends.
- Analyze clinical case studies to code OMS-specific procedures such as fractures and biopsies.
- Describe the relationship of coding to third-party reimbursement.
- Understand managed care contracting and how to conduct/respond to a health plan audit.
- Gain an understanding of state insurance laws, such as prompt payment and degree of provider.
- Understand insurance exchange products, embedded dental plans and quality improvement programs.
Cancellations must be made in writing and faxed to AAOMS at 847-678-6279. A $75 cancellation fee will be applied if a written cancellation is received more than 14 days prior to a scheduled course. The entire registration fee will be forfeited if a written cancellation is received fewer than 14 days in advance.