ROAAOMS Women in OMS Mentor Program
The Women in OMS Mentorship Program was inspired by female dental students expressing the desire to connect with female residents to gain a female perspective on the OMS specialty. Now is the time to connect – the AAOMS Special Interest Group on Women in OMS recently launched, and women make up 18 percent of OMS residents despite dental schools consistently enrolling approximately 50 percent women. The ROAAOMS Women in OMS Mentorship Program is targeting dental students and pre-dental students with the desire to increase their knowledge of the OMS specialty and meet mentors to guide them through becoming an OMS. The ROAAOMS Women in OMS Mentorship Program hopes to:
- Provide a female perspective on the application process and residency to female dental students interested in the OMS specialty.
- Offer mentorship and create long-term networking opportunities.
- Increase the percentages of qualified women in the OMS specialty.
Become a mentor to pre-dental and dental students
- The roles and responsibilities of a mentor include:
- Timely communication (within two weeks) expected.
- Give advice and answer questions related (but not limited) to:
- CBSE studying
- Application process
- Personal statement, CV and letters of recommendation
- Advice on schools to apply to/perspective on schools
- Interview tips – how to portray and demonstrate yourself as a strong candidate
- What to do in case of a low CBSE, rejection, internship/alternative options, etc.
- Life as female resident
- Special interests, such as non-traditional applicant issues (i.e., post-dental school), foreign-trained, LBGTQ issues, racial minority, pregnancy during residency, childcare, strategy for applying with a lower CBSE, long-distance relationships, couples match
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis and reviewed in December, April and August. Assignments will be announced within one month from the review date. Please send applications to Laurie Oddo, Advanced Education and Resident Affairs Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org or fax it to 847-678-6286.
Are you a pre-dental or dental student looking to join the Women in OMS Mentorship Program? Mentee applications are available here.