Interpersonal Violence and the Role of the OMS
Recent media attention has brought to light harassment and interpersonal violence. When OMSs are called upon to treat facial trauma and injuries, they are uniquely positioned to recognize and respond to suspected cases of interpersonal violence.
This session will teach participants how to notice patterns of injury that may be associated with interpersonal violence and how and when to report suspected abuse. It is critical for OMSs to understand the emotional and physical characteristics of these crimes and to approach victims with care. Because the psychological wounds from this type of abuse can contribute to a patient giving false stories, OMSs must know how to handle these situations to best help the patient.
October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month, and OMSs are invited to participate in this national observance by equipping themselves with knowledge about interpersonal violence.
- Identify interpersonal violence or harassment as the cause of an injury.
- Review the proper protocols to report these crimes.
- Discuss patterns of injury commonly associated with interpersonal violence.
Brought to you by the SIG on Women.
Hands-on Cadaveric Workshop: Comprehensive Facial Rejuvenation
This full-day, off-site, ticketed session will focus on the anatomical principles and surgical procedures being performed today to rejuvenate the facial region. These cosmetic procedures include brow lifts, blepharoplasty, midfacial lifting, cervicofacial rhytidectomy, platysmaplasty and facial liposuction.
After an in-depth discussion of the area, the hands-on workshop features surgical instruction on cadaver specimens from esteemed faculty offering a direct learning experience. The focus is on hands-on exposure so OMSs can offer these most commonly used facial rejuvenation surgical procedure options to their patients. Participants will be able to discuss surgical anatomy and principles in the various procedures with close interaction from experts in the field of facial cosmetic surgery.
- Explain the various procedures available and the techniques/skills required to perform the most common facial cosmetic surgical procedures.
- Describe the anatomic basis and principles of facial cosmetic surgical procedures.
- Review the techniques in performing these procedures, with an illustration of outcomes assessment.
There is a fee associated with this hands-on session.